Sunday, April 22, 2012

40..IT FINALLY HAPPENED!




Well, for weeks I have been fretting over turning 40.  How would I feel?  Would I greet the day with trepidation or welcome it with open arms? Would a meltdown occur?

I am happy to say that the day has been wonderful. I woke up feeling more comfortable in my skin than I have for a while now. I greeted the day with a sense of calm and came to terms with some issues that were bothering me. I look forward to engaging in a new decade. The decade of my 30's was good to me and I wonder if some of my trepidation wasn't just sorrow over leaving that decade.

The day has been a beautiful day. The weather was rainy & overcast, which for me is a blessing. When it is sunny and warm, I feel like there is so much I should be getting done. I want to absorb every minute & every molecule of sun that I can get. A rainy, overcast day causes me to slow down, be house bound and just take some time to relax. Little did I know that rainy, overcast day was being caused by a nor'easter that by the time I wake up in the AM will have either dumped 10-12 inches of snow on us or 2-4 inches of rain. Late April Showers....Hoping for May flowers.

My husband is a wonderful guy and I am so thankful for him. For weeks I took my anxiety out on him. Explaining that I didn't want my 40th birthday to go by unnoticed. That I didn't want it to be just another birthday. But than the next day the anxiety would change to me fretting about what I considered to be failures in my life. Milestones that I hadn't reached by 40. Milestones that had been ingrained into me and that I couldn't reconcile with.

He did a great job in the weeks leading up and today. His patience with me is a blessing. The cupcakes, the photo album, the cards that made me laugh & than cry (and cry again now that I am thinking about it), the over the top gift of the DSLR camera and a beautiful dinner out at a restaurant I have been wanting to try for a long time now. It was a wonderful day and I look forward to a wonderful year.

My mother said that I should be receiving cashmere & diamonds for my birthday..to her I say..my husband got it just right!

To my husband I say..THANK YOU SO MUCH. It was a perfect day. Made even better when you told me you got me my points at the Hallmark store! What other guy would be so thoughtful to realize his wife is a Hallmark addict & be sure to get her the bonus points! You Rock!

And just one more 40th birthday story, because this is just so typical of who I am. I was rushing to pee before we headed out for dinner. I tried to slide behind John in the bathroom. Well slip is what I did. I slipped on the rug near the tub & twisted my ankle. Not to be deterred, I kept on going. I am a gal & I did have to pee after all. So being the multi-tasker that I am, I figured that while peeing I would fold up the rug that I tripped on. In such slow, slow motion, I managed to reach over for the rug, fall off the toilet, catch myself halfway on the edge of the tub and more or less fall into the tub. Than I couldn't get myself up because my pants were down. Oh My Goodness. What a sight I must have been. I couldn't decide wheter to laugh or cry. I am happy to say I am okay & as of right now nothing is too sore. But just typical for me. That makes 2 full out accidents I've had in the new bathroom. Someday I'll learn to slow down.

Cheers and Happy Earth Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment