Thursday, May 22, 2014

Nature in our Piece of the Woods

Nature's animals are coming to our piece of the woods this year.

I've lived here for 15 years and look forward to certain things every year. Spring Peepers, signaling that winter is over. The bold redness of the male cardinal followed by the muted red of his mate. The hummingbirds making daily AM & PM visits to the feeder and buzzing me when I've taken too long filling the feeder or just buzzing me to say hello while I sit outside on the patio enjoying them. Finches in the finch house, easily viewed from the kitchen window. Deer bringing their doe to frollick. Squirrels running the pool fence in such a playful manner.

In 15 years I can tell you one thing I've never seen in our woods & that is turtles. This year our youngest pup found one & brought it home. We are still baffled where she found. But she did & she didn't hurt it. Here's some pictures. We were probably more excited at her find than her.
first turtle in 15 years 

pup and her new found treasure


In addition, while we usually have nests around the house, they are normally higher up. Around the rain gutter/chimney curve. But this year, the beautiful momma chose to honor us by setting up her nest in the plant we bought my mother in law for mother's day. I had seen momma bird hanging around near the hosta plant and thought it was odd because that was within the dogs reach. When I would sit outside & watch her, she would try to bring my attention away from the hosta. Tonight her timing wasn't so good & my mother in law caught her coming out of the non stop begonia that we bought her this year. I didn't want to disturb her nest so I only caught one picture.


This is the non stop begonia


The Babies still in their eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment