Sunday, June 8, 2014

Memories with Grandma

I love talking to my grandmother and visiting her memories. Today I had the pleasure of talking to her on the phone. I love our phone chats because she tells me things that she wouldn't tell me in person. Today she told me that 6/6/14 would have been her 72nd wedding anniversary. I remember as a child growing up, hearing stories that she met my grandfather & a week later they were married. My grandmother was 16 when they married and my grandfather was 40. Today I was asking about how fast of a courtship it was that they met and were married. She said that is not entirely true, that my grandfather was dating her friend Mildred. One day Mildred said to her, did he ask you to marry him? Grandma answered yes. Mildred responded, I'm going to go jump in the lake. Grandma's response was, well go right on ahead & jump in the lake. We laughed and laughed at that memory. I marvelled at what it would be like to be married for 72 years. I smiled at the memories I have of my grandfather. I listen with amazement when she tells me stories that I never heard as a kid. Stories about a newly married couple trying to make their first home. Stories of a young woman, bearing children, hobknobbing with the big names, losing a child (stillborn), raising 9 children. Being a woman who raised such an amazingly large family 9 children, (this next part is my best recollection) 42 grandchildren, 23 great grandchildren and I think she is up to 13 great great grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment