Friday, February 3, 2012

Groundhog

While Phil may have seen his shadow yesterday & predicted 6 more weeks of winter, I think the signs of spring disagree.

Every day I've been looking for the ducks to appear in our pond. Always a sure sign of spring, followed closely by the sounds of frogs chirping (or as some North easterners call them Chirppers). Yesterday hubby texted me to say that sure enough the ducks were back. Woot Woot! I got home too late yesterday to see them but hopefully today they will be floating around when I get home. I love to watch them. It's a mallard couple that grace us with their presence every year.

This morning I made the decision to stop & fill up my car before work. Was I thankful I did. As I started to pump my gas I heard that familiar sound of geese honking. I did some quick calculations in my head and was able to determine that indeed they were heading NORTH!

I guess having spent a large portion of my childhood in the Northeast, you learn to appreciate the little signs of spring. Geese honking, a robin red breast sighting, buds on the trees, hyacinth & lilacs trees coming into bloom. After having spent a long barren winter, you smile at these things. Someone from another area might not understand your smile, but it warms your heart greatly for you know that the barren of winter is almost over and soon the green grass and warm days will be here to stay. You know that soon you will be donning your spring jacket & shortly after that you will be shedding it to soak in the warm rays of the sun. By the end of summer you will be thankful for fall to arrive & than once again another winter season. That's one of the best things about living in the Northeast is you get to fully experience all 4 seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment